Easter eggs in Wochee: Chapter 1

This is the place to discuss my book of short stories and witticisms.
Mike
Site Admin

Easter eggs in Wochee: Chapter 1

Post by Mike »

In the beginning of this story I include a few details that are actually references to other people and things. I explain in the story about the ship name, the John Newton. But here are some that might not be obvious.

Ah yes Miss Fuller. You're in cabin C130.
C130 is the C-130 Hercules, which at one time was the largest aircraft made. It's my favorite plane.

How about a Denebian Moonlight?
Deneb IV is a planet that showed up a few times in various Star Trek series.

You were born on May 30, 3256. Your home city is Robertsville, Trantor, Altair VI. Your parents are Howard and Dorothy.
My birthday is in May. Frederick from The Pirates of Penzance was born in 1856. Howard is an homage to Merri D. Howard, who wore a few different hats behind the scenes on Star Trek: The Next Generation. Dorothy is an homage to Dorothy Fontana, better known to sci-fi fans as D.C. Fontana. Robertsville is an homage to Robert Heinlein, my second favorite sci-fi writer behind Isaac Asimov. Trantor was the home planet of the Galactic Empire in Isaac Asimov's Foundation series. Foundation is my all-time favorite fiction book. Altair VI is a planet that was mentioned in Star Trek. The Altair system is also mentioned in the Star Wars universe. In the computer world, the Altair 8800 was a computer. Microsoft's first product was Altair BASIC, which was designed to run on the Altair 8800.